In celebration of their 25th anniversary, Microsoft Press books has come up with a "Free e-book of the Month" program through which they would be giving away free downloads every month. All you have to do is sign up for the Microsoft Press Book Connection Newsletter for notification of offers, register, and download the selection of the month.
This month the ebook on offer is Windows Vista Resource Kit, Second Edition by Mitch Tulloch, Tony Northrup, and Jerry Honeycutt with the Windows Vista Team. The book is an “in-depth, comprehensive, and fully updated for Service Pack 1, this Resource Kit delivers the information you need to administer Windows Vista” and covers the following topics:
- Use Microsoft Deployment Toolkit best practices and tools
- Plan user-state migration and test application compatibility
- Exploit new Group Policy features, settings, and ADMX templates
- Configure software updates and client-security technologies
- Administer disks, file systems, file sharing, search, and Internet Explorer
- Install and troubleshoot printers, devices, and services
- Manage IPsec, IPv6, wireless, and remote connectivity
- Use performance monitoring and diagnostic tools to manage desktop health
- Resolve common startup, hardware, and networking issues
This 1500+ page book sells at various online book stores at $70, but you can download the PDF version of this book for free by signing up with your Windows Live ID.