Windows file system cache is a part of the system memory that is allocated to retain recently used files and other information for quick access. Since free memory is essentially wasted memory, a part of the free memory is reserved to function as file cache so that frequently used files and programs load and run faster. The size of the cache depends on the amount of physical memory installed on the system and the memory required for applications to run. Windows dynamically adjusts the size of the cache as needed, though it’s possible to override this setting through certain registry keys.
O&O CleverCache 6 Professional is a one of a kind tool that optimizes the File Cache Management for Windows Vista, NT, 2000 and Windows XP, and allows the user to make changes to it and apply tweaks that maximizes the performance and speed of the PC.
O&O is an extremely powerful program. It opens up a wide range of settings and options you never knew existed in Windows. Here is a brief rundown of some of the most important features of this application.
Bird’s eye view of memory and cache usage
Set maximum and minimum size of file cache, and file cache assessment interval.
Defragment main memory for quicker running of applications.
Optimize processor time to favor background processes or running programs.
Force Windows to keep the kernel in main memory, and optimize whether the main memory should favor quick program execution or faster file access.
Accelerate file access speed on NTFS partitions.
O&O CleverCache 6 Professional is powerful but dangerous, if used incorrectly. If you are unsure of what you’re doing, leave the program settings to it’s default.
O&O CleverCache 6 Professional doesn’t come free, and there is no freeware alternative that I could find, at least I’m not aware if it exist. At $19.95, however, it’s cheaper than most software. But you won’t have to pay even that, because there is a promotional giveaway going on. (Thanks Donation Coder)
How to get the Free license?
1. Go to this page, fill the form and submit. You will be sent a serial code by email.
2. Now go to the registered users download page. (You can also arrive at this page via the main download page by clicking on “registered user”)
3. Enter the email address you registered on Step1 and the license key mailed to you and submit.
4. You will be taken to the download page. Download the program.
5. After you have downloaded and installed the application, you have to register the product with the exact information sent to you on email, which includes name, company and license.