ConvertXtoDVD is a full featured, delightfully user friendly DVD authoring software for Windows. Whether you are a new user looking to create a DVD out of your home videos or an expert user who want to tailor the DVD up to the last detail, ConvertXtoDVD has all to satisfy your needs.
The process of converting a video or videos to a playable DVD is straightforward. Just add the video files to the program from the File menu and click on the ‘Convert’ button. But before you go forth with the conversion, there are a few things that need to be taken care of.
- Set the location of the ‘Working Folder’. The Working Folder is the directory where the temporary files created during the conversion process are stored. This is also the location where the final converted video is to be found. There should be enough disk space available for the temporary files.
- DVD Specification. Set the video format standard (PAL or NTSC) according to your geographic location, set the video resolution and aspect ratio.
- Set the DVD size (DVD-5 or DVD-9) and the encoding quality (high/medium/low). The default is set to medium and it produces videos of acceptable quality.
Once the basics are taken care of, you can now delve deeper into the customization options. Here is what ConvertXtoDVD has to offer.
ConvertXtoDVD supports both internal and external subtitles (SRT, SUB/IDX, SSA, opensubtitles, dvbsub). The way the subtitle is rendered on the video can be adjusted using the comprehensive ‘Subtitle style editor’. You can customize the font size, color, type, position, shadows and so on. Your customization can be saved and applied automatically to every DVD you create. It can also override the subtitle settings that come with certain subtitle formats like SSA.
There are more than two dozen different templates for the DVD menu that you can customize to your taste. You can also create your own menus from scratch with your own background, texts etc. You can also specify how long each chapter should be and it will automatically create them with markers and previews. The chapter preview thumbnails can be changed too.
If the audio component of the video is too loud or too low, ConvertXtoDVD allows normalization of the audio using custom audio levels. The audio can also be converted into AC3 5.1 channels or 2 channels or MPEG. The video encoding settings are a little limited but sufficient for most home use. The encoding quality can be set to three pre-defined levels - high, medium and low. Other video options allowed are, letterboxing, de-interlacing and video resize.
The converted videos can be burned directly into a DVD from within the program. If you wish to use this feature, select the burner and speed of burning. Alternatively, the video can be saved to hard disk in the video DVD structure (AUDIO_TS/ VIDEO_TS directories) or converted into a DVD image.
Customizing the DVD can take a while but it’s a one time job, unless you need to change them again. Once you have customized and saved your DVD settings, these can be applied every time you use the program. This saves time.
- Supports wide range of video formats - avi, divx, xvid, mov, mkv, flv , mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg-, nsv, dvr-ms, ts, ifo, vob, asf, wmv, realmedia, rm, rmvb, ogm, existing files from digital camcorders, TV/Sat, capture cards, etc. No external codecs needed.
- Automatically adjust conversion quality according to the size of videos.
- Supports multi-core processors for faster conversion.
- The speed of conversion is remarkable. A 4.7 GB DVD-5 disk at medium quality converts in about 1 hour, which is faster than any DVD converting software I have come across.
- Preview video before conversion. Also preview subtitle renderings.
- Merge several smaller files together.
- Finer encoding controls are missing. Does not allow setting of video encoding method or video bitrates, for example.
We have 3 licenses of ConvertXtoDVD, each worth $50, to giveaway to our readers. To take part in the contest simply leave your name and email address in the form below and three lucky winners will be selected by draw. The contest will be open for submission till Dec 10th, but can be extended depending on the response. So spread the news!