NeoRouter is the most powerful Remote Access and VPN solution I have seen to date. It helps you manage and connect to all your computers from anywhere, gracefully integrating with Remote Access, File Sharing, Virtual Private Network, User and Access Management. NeoRouter can connect all your PCs into a virtual LAN and allow you to access them securely and share files between them from anywhere.
How does NeoRouter work
NeoRouter solution includes two components - Server and Client. You can install the client part on multiple computers, so that these clients can connect each other though a secure communication channel. The NeoRouter server lies at the center of the virtual LAN acting like a command hub. It authenticates PCs and users, manages user accounts and profiles, and mediates direct P2P connections between PCs. The server can be setup on a PC running Windows or Linux, a Small Business Server, a Windows Media Center, a Windows Home Server or a MythTV. Alternatively it can be setup on a residential router from LinkSys, Asus, etc. It works with the open-source firmware like Tomato, OpenWRT, etc.
Client PCs need to register to the network to access the virtual LAN. Once registered and logged in they can use the NeoRouter Network Explorer, which is installed along with the NeoRouter client software, to access other computers on the network. The NeoRouter Network Explorer also has a portable version that can carried along in your laptop or pen drive and used from any public PC.
All network communications are encrypted and authenticated with industry-standard algorithms and protocols. NeoRouter also has a built-in firewall and access control manager that provides a fine granular control over users and their privileges.
The best thing about NeoRouter is that it’s extensible with add-ons. These add-ons lets you perform additional tasks over the virtual network, and there are a handful of them. For instance there is a PuTTY add-on that allows you to access remote Unix/Linux/Mac computers using the SSH, Telnet and Rlogin network protocols. Then there are UltraVNC and TightVNC add-ons that allows you to share your computer screen with your friends and use your mouse and keyboard to control the other PC remotely.
What’s more? NeoRouter is free!
- Cross-platform: Create a seamless network across Windows, Mac, Linux and devices (supporting OpenWrt, Tomato and FON firmware).
- Roaming user profile: You can sign in from any computer using the same account and your profile will roam with you.
- High portability: You can run NeoRouter portable client from a USB drive without installation.
- Fast connection: NeoRouter can setup direct peer-to-peer (P2P) connection between computers. When direct P2P connection is impossible (e.g. your computer is behind a corporate firewall), NeoRouter relays the network traffic through your own router
- Advanced user management and access control: You can create multiple users with different privileges, and grant accesses to a computer or a service individually.
- Add-ons: Add-ons extend NeoRouter and let you perform additional tasks over the virtual network.
- Remote wakeup: You can put your computer to standby mode to conserve electricity and NeoRouter can wake up the computer when you actually use it.
- Run as a windows service: NeoRouter can run as a Windows service enabling you to run NeoRouter no matter who is logged-in into the computer.
- Unlimited network capacity: There is no limit on how many computers can join the network or how many users can be created.
- Customization: Personalize the user interface with your native language and favorite skin. NeoRouter supports 34 languages and multiple skin styles.