Auslogics Disk Defrag is a powerful disk defragmentation tool loaded with features hard to find in a free software. Auslogics Disk Defrag not only defragment files but can also optimize your hard drives for maximum performance. Aside from defragmenting entire drives, this software can defrag individual files and folders, consolidate free space, move system files to the fastest part of the disk and clear the MFT Reserved Zone from regular files.
Auslogics Disk Defrag share the same look as any other disk defragmentation tool. A top panel lists all available hard disks and their partition; a center panel depicts the content of the hard disk and the state of fragmentation with various colored boxes; and a bottom panel with multiple tabs offers detailed information of the disk content and the progress of the defragmentation process.
- Smart placement of system files: Auslogics Disk Defrag defragments system files and moves them to the beginning of the hard disk - the fastest part of the disk. This minimizes the time needed to access system files and improves overall computer performance.
- Single file or folder defragmentation: Disk Defrag can save your time by defragmenting only the files you want. It allows you to defragment a single file, several files or an entire folder. This option is useful when certain files need to be defragmented to speed up an application and there is no need to defragment the entire hard drive.
- Free space consolidation: Simple defragmentation of data files leaves fragmented free space. This results in further fragmentation of files when new files are created and saved. Disk Defrag merges free space into a large contiguous block which effectively prevents file fragmentation.
- Prevents fragmentation of MFT Zone: Normally, NTFS file system reserves about 12.5% of the disk space for the MFT records. However, when the rest of the disk space is getting low, the MFT Reserved Zone is used for storing regular files. This may lead to MFT fragmentation. To prevent MFT fragmentation, Disk Defrag moves regular data files from the MFT Reserved Zone, allowing NTFS to allocate contiguous space for the MFT records.
- Real time defragmentation: Auslogics Disk Defrag has an auto-defragmentation feature that acts in real time while your system is idle. Since the program is very compact and requires few system resources, it can easily defragment your hard drives in the background and automatically defragment files as they happen.
- Delete temporary files: Auslogics Disk Defrag can automatically delete temporary files from the disk before defragmenting which is good practice. Since the files are temporary removing them before defragmenting saves precious time and resources.
- Scheduled defragmentation: Finally like any good software, Auslogics Disk Defrag has a scheduler that enables the user to set the program to run according to a schedule. The program can be run daily, weekly or monthly, at any time you want. You can also configure Disk Defrag to save reports after each defragmentation to control its activity.
Auslogics Disk Defrag is, I believe, is one of the strongest contender for the title of the best hard disk defragmentation tool around, free or paid.
Related: Tips on defragmenting your hard disk