If you find Twitter’s default interface insipid, here is a simple way to make your Twitter experience similar to most Twitter web applications such as Tweetdeck, Seesmic or Hootsuite.
All you need is a modern browser that supports Greasemonkey scripts and extensions and that includes Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari.
The addon/script called MonkeyFly can turn Twitter into a grid like layout with user customizable multiple columns displaying multiple streams of Twitter feed. With MonkeyFly you can add columns for direct messages, Retweets, mentions, favorites, lists etc.
Aside from the layout change, MonkeyFly adds fantastic features to Twitter like:
- Save tweets as Draft to send them later
- Upload photos to your Twitpic account with the click of a button and have the shortened URL of the photo displayed automatically in your status field.
- Built-in URL shortener
- Auto suggest feature that displays the latest and most commonly contacted twitters’ IDs when you type @ symbol in the Twitter input field
- Keyboard shortcuts for easy navigation
- Keeps track of all the links you have submitted via the URL Shortener button. This convenient list includes the original site and the number of clicks through, as calculated by bit.ly.