Adobe has quietly released the latest iteration of Adobe Reader version 10, which is represented with the Roman numeral X - Adobe Reader X. Adobe had announced the upcoming version of their Acrobat Family of Products last month promising better security via sandboxing – the so called “Protected mode” – along with the usual assortment of feature upgrades that comes with every new release.
With Adobe Reader Protected Mode enabled all operations required by Adobe Reader to display the PDF file to the user are run in a very restricted manner inside a confined environment, the “sandbox.” Should Adobe Reader need to perform an action that is not permitted in the sandboxed environment, such as writing to the user’s temporary folder or launching an attachment inside a PDF file using an external application (e.g. Microsoft Word), those requests are funneled through a “broker process,” which has a strict set of policies for what is allowed and disallowed to prevent access to dangerous functionality.
Adobe Reader X Features:
- View and interact PDF files with that contain even wider variety of content types, including drawings, email messages, spreadsheets,videos and other multimedia elements
- Make note and share with others by making PDF documents using the sticky notes and highlighter tools.
- Choose reading mode to fit more content on the screen or two-up mode to view page spreads. Use keyboard shortcuts like print, zoom, and find with tin the browser.
- Take advantage of added security of protected mode in reader, which helps ensure safer viewing of PDF files.
- Directly access online services at acrobat.com from with in Reader X. perform common tasks such as creating PDF files, securely sharing and storing document, and screen-sharing.
- Expand PDF access via mobile devices with free Adobe Reader for Android Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry Tablet OS.