rsslounge is a Google Reader clone that allows anybody to build their own web based RSS feed reader. All you need is a web host that supports PHP and MySQL, the kind that are abundantly available.
rsslounge has features similar to Google Reader and much more. Capabilities like assigning priority to feeds, support for images and ability to control feed refresh interval and other user customizable settings makes it a powerful alternative to the popular Google Reader. rsslounge is also open source which means that any person with a decent grasp in programming can tailor the reader to one’s individual needs.
rsslounge supports RSS feeds of images, not that Google Reader doesn’t but rsslounge treats image feeds differently. If an RSS feed is based on images the feed is displayed in a grid like layout producing a thumbnail gallery of images. Regular RSS feeds are displayed the conventional way – horizontal collapsible sections. Feeds can be also starred and marked as read.
rsslounge also supports RSS feeds with errors which are usually the ones that doesn’t have dates in the feeds.
- Set priorities for feeds and select a priority range (1 to 3).
- Set categories and filters.
- Supports images and photos for easy following photoblogs or communities like deviantart
- Ajax based frontend for easy and simple use (supports drag n drop and more)
- Plug-in system for writing new data-sources (for pages which doesn’t support rss or need special handling)
- Supports Ajax based and cron job updates
- Import and export OPML feeds
- Available in English and German languages