The Pencil Project is probably the most unique Firefox addon ever. This under 400KB addon turns Firefox into a drawing platform for making diagrams and GUI prototyping. Though not as feature rich as professional tools like Adobe Fireworks, which is obvious given it’s small size, yet it’s excellent for making quick sketches. Remember, that it is not a graphics application like Photoshop or Paint. If you have such an idea in your mind then you will find this application quite odd. This is a GUI prototyping tool used for creating GUI mockups, which can be later developed to create actual programs.
Here is a quick list of some of the features of the Pencil Project
- Built-in stencils for diagraming and prototyping
- Multi-page document with background page
- On-screen text editing with rich-text supports
- PNG rasterizing
- Undo/redo supports
- Installing user-defined stencils
- Standard drawing operations: aligning, z-ordering, scaling, rotating…
- Adding external objects
The Pencil Project is platform independent and runs on any platform that Firefox 3 can run on. It is also available as a standalone tool.