If you want to run a web server on your computer, not necessarily to host a website, but to install Wordpress, design a theme and such, you have plenty of options to choose from. But most of the server software requires installation and thus impossible to carry it on a pen drive.
Server2Go, however is portable. It’s more than portable because it’s capable of running directly off a CD ROM or any write protected USB drive. Server2Go allows you to create a standalone working web site with Apache, PHP and MySQL directly out of a CD ROM. Using a web browser, a user can run PHP programs as well as view html files on the CD-ROM. Simply insert the CD with Server2Go into the optical drive and the server software starts automatically.
- Autodetect free ports for Apache and MySQL
- Autodetection of proxy settings
- Server2Go takes care of the correct configuration of Apache, PHP and MySQL depending on the environment
- Starts up the Server software automatically unseen to the user
- Starts up a browser with the autodetected hostname and port
- Auto shutdown of the server software after the browser is closed (default, can be changed)
- The database can be used from CD-ROM or can be mirrored to the local machine
- Supports Windows 98/Me/XP/2000/Vista
Server2Go supports the following packages
- Apache 1.3.x, 2.0.x and 2.2.x (V1.6.0 of Server2Go or above)
- PHP 5.2.x with a lot of Extensions. Downgrade packages to 4.4.x and 5.0.x available)
- MySQL 5 support
- Perl 5.8 with many CPAN modules integrated