LMMS (Linux MultiMedia Studio) is an open source, cross platform, complete music sequencer, synthesizer and composer. Despite the presence of the word “Linux” in it’s name, LMMS is available for the Windows platform and of course, Linux and also OS X. LMMS includes synthesizers, audio sample playback, drum machine and piano roll composition, automation tools and is compatible with VST plug-ins, making it an exceedingly powerful music production software.
LMMS lets users generate sounds and tones which can be arranged to create entire tracks easily. LMMS can also connect to your MIDI keyboard, allowing you to play music live.
Since I’m alien to music composition tools, the interface looks quite intimidating to me. Seasonal users will hopefully ooze with excitement.
LMMS seems to have much in common with Apple's Garage Band, FL Studio, Logic Studio, Beat Machine Pro and similar powerful audio tools. In terms of capability, LMMS easily matches the lower to middle-tier professional tools available, making it a great introduction to learners.
- Song-Editor for composing songs
- A Beat+Bassline-Editor for creating beats and basslines
- An easy-to-use Piano-Roll for editing patterns and melodies
- An FX mixer with 64 FX channels and arbitrary number of effects allow unlimited mixing possibilities
- Many powerful instrument and effect-plugins out of the box
- Full user-defined track-based automation and computer-controlled automation sources
- Compatible with many standards such as SoundFont2, VST(i), LADSPA, GUS Patches, and MIDI
- Import of MIDI and FLP (Fruityloops Project) files