qBittorrent is an easy to use BitTorrent client that comes the closet to what uTorrent has to offer, both in terms of appearance and functionality. The difference is qBittorrent is open source and hence supports a wider range of platforms including Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, BSD and UNix.
The program includes a built-in search engine with support for major Torrent indexers, RSS feeds, Torrent creator and Bandwidth filtering among other features. It supports all Bittorrent extensions such as DHT, Peer Exchange, Full encryption and Magnet URI. It’s also compatible with UPnP / NAT-PMP and more.
One of the distinguishing features of qBittorrent over competitors is its well-integrated search engine that searches on the most popular torrent web sites and brings results right within the program. To download a torrent, one simply needs to select one from the search results and click on the download button.
The search interface is tabbed, allowing you to do multiple searches without losing the results of your previous searches.
Another very useful function is the ‘alternative global speed limit’ that allows you to toggle between two speed limits with the click of a button. You set two different connection limits, say one with unthrottled speeds and one with limited bandwidth, and then switch one from the other when required. For example, when you want to watch Hulu and also download torrent, you can switch to the low bandwidth mode so that there is enough bandwidth left for stutter free video streaming.
The main features present in qBittorrent are:
- Polished µTorrent-like User Interface
- Well-integrated and extensible search engine
-Simultaneously search well-known BitTorrent search sites
-Per-category-specific search requests (e.g. Books, Music, Movies)
- All Bittorrent extensions: DHT, Peer Exchange, Full encryption, Magnet URI, …
- Remote control through a Web user interface; Nearly identical to the regular UI, all in Ajax
- Advanced control over trackers, peers, and torrents
-Torrents queuing and prioritizing
-Torrent content selection and prioritizing
- UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding support
- Available in ~25 languages (Unicode support)
- µTorrent spoofing to bypass private trackers white-listing
- Advanced RSS support with download filters (inc. regex)
- Bandwidth scheduler
- IP Filtering (eMule and PeerGuardian compatible)
- IPv6 compliant