When you upload a file to Google Drive, you have the option to convert the file to one of the formats supported by Google Docs. Converting a file to a Google document, spreadsheet, or presentation allows you to edit, collaborate on, and share it online. A file can be converted to a large number of formats as listed below:
- For documents: .doc, .docx, .html, plain text (.txt), .rtf
- For spreadsheets: .xls, .xlsx, .ods, .csv, .tsv, .txt, .tab
- For presentations: .ppt, .pps, .pptx
- For drawings: .wmf
- For OCR: .jpg, .gif, .png, .pdf
DriveConverter is a utility that enhances Google Drive's built-in file conversion tool by allowing users to convert uploaded files to an even larger variety of formats.
To use DriveConverter, you have to allow the application to connect to your Google account, so that it can access the contents of your Google Drive. Once the authorization is granted, refresh the Google Drive page and right-click on the file you want to convert and choose Open With. There you should find “Drive Converter” as one of the possible apps to open the file with.
DriveConverter can convert the following file types.
- Documents: From docx, doc, txt, rtf to pdf, xml, rtf, doc, docx, html, txt
- Spreadsheets: From xlx, xlsx to pdf, csv, txt, html, xlsx
- Images: From png, jpg, gif, bitmap, tiff to png, jpg, gif, bitmap, tiff
- Audio: From: mp3, mp4, m4a, flac, wav, ogg to mp3, mp4, m4a, flac, wav, ogg
Another way to convert files is to go to www.driveconverter.com and choose the file picker to select files from your Google Drive. A download link is provided after the conversion completes so that you can download the file to your computer. The converted file can also be saved automatically on Google Drive, if you have selected the option.
Unfortunately, as you can see from the list of supported formats, DriveConverter doesn't support the native Google Docs formats, so only files that you have uploaded from your computer is available for conversion. Spreadsheets and documents that you have created through Google Drive’s interface cannot be converted.
[via Chrome Story]