CleverPrint is a printing application that enables users to control how and what they want to print. It’s smarter than your average printer software and offers a handful of tools to customize and clean up your documents before sending them to the printer. CleverPrint can reduce your printing costs by up to 50%, they claim.
CleverPrint installs itself as a printer and therefore can be launched from any software that supports printing. Whenever you print a document from Word or your browser simply choose CleverPrint as your printer in the printer selection list. This will send the print job to CleverPrint. The document will then open in the application’s main window where you can edit the pages and adjust print settings without editing the original documents.
With CleverPrint you can do the following:
- Print multiple pages (up to 8) on a single sheet of page.
- Combine different print jobs unto one page even if they come from different applications (e.g. Access, Open Office, etc.)
- Add watermarks – both text and image into your documents. You can adjust the tilt of the watermark and it’s opacity. This is useful when your document editor or the document itself doesn’t allow embedding of watermark, say a PDF document.
- Add letterheads and footer to your documents. You can add your company’s logo and letterhead on top of every document you print.
- Remove unnecessary pages from the print job.
- Remove empty spaces and graphics from the document.
- Re-arrange pages
- Adjust background colors of pages.
- Export any document to PDF, JPEG,PNG, TIFF etc thus functioning as a PDF printer and document to image converter.
- Add space for perforation (gutters) along the sides or top/bottom of the pages. This lets you have extra margin on the side where you can staple the pages together or perforate it.
- Save all customization and reuse them in future print jobs.
No doubt, CleverPrint is an excellent printing tool. Unfortunately, the publishers won’t allow you to use all it’s features for free. The software is available as a free version and a commercial version priced at 40 Euro. For 30 days it will work as the commercial version offering full functionality. At the end of 30 days, the software enters the ‘free mode’ where certain features get disabled. Among these are – combining of pages and letterheads.
You can use the free version as long as you want, but you have to register the software within 10 days of installing to continue using it. Registration is free.
Printee for Internet Explorer – Edit webpage before printing
GreenPrint – Save pages by printing only what you need
Comparison of fonts and their ink usage
BookletCreator – Print and bind books at home