BabelMap is a comprehensive, free character map application for Windows that allows you to browse through the entire Unicode character repertoire of nearly 110,000 characters, or search for a particular character by name or by code point. Characters can then be copied to the clipboard for use in any Unicode-supported application. It also provides many useful features and special utilities such as hex to decimal to HTML converter, font lookup, character information and so on. BabelMap supports the most recent version of the Unicode Standard, currently Unicode 6.0.
The Unicode Character Grid in BabelMap shows all 109,449 assigned characters and 137,468 private use characters in Unicode 5.2. The Unicode block selection menu lets you view characters by specific blocks such as mathematical characters or musical symbols or Arabic character set. When you select a character, it becomes available in the Edit Buffer from where it can be copied to any text program. Here you can change the character to its Hex or UCN or HTML equivalent.
Unlike Windows Character Map that displays characters by typeface, BabelMap can combine all typefaces to maximize the range of displayed glyphs. Since the Unicode character set is vast, no single typeface can contain all the characters. Limiting the character map to a single typeface hence limits the number of available characters, which is one problem the Windows Character Map suffers from. This drawback is absent in BabelMap.
Furthermore, BabelMap includes a number of utilities that may be accessed from the menu or by means of function keys:
- Font Analysis Utility : This lists all Unicode blocks covered by a particular font or lists all fonts that cover a particular Unicode block.
- Font Information Utility : Provides information about the currently selected font – version number, license information, total number characters and glyphs covered.
- Font Glyph Export Utility : Lets you export any or all glyphs from any font to file in BMP, GIF, JPG or PNG format.
- Font Coverage Utility : List all fonts that cover a particular character or all the characters in a piece of text or all the characters in the BabelMap edit buffer.
- Advanced Character Search Utility : Lists all characters that meet specified criteria.
- UCD Data Utility : Generates UCD-format data for a given range of characters for any version of Unicode.
- Character History Utility : Enumerates the UCD properties for a given character for all versions of Unicode, including mappings to Unicode 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 where appropriate.
- Han Radical Lookup Utility : Lists all Han ideographs with a given radical and number of strokes (covers all 74,616 characters in the CJK, CJK-A, CJK-B, CJK-C and CJK-D blocks).
- Mandarin Pinyin Lookup Utility : Lists all Han ideographs with a given Mandarin pinyin pronunciation.
- Cantonese Jyutping Lookup Utility : Lists all Han ideographs with a given Cantonese jyutping pronunciation.
- Yi Radical Lookup Utility : Lists all Yi syllables with a given radical and number of strokes.
- Unicode Summary Utility : Provides a summary of the script, block and character coverage of the current version of Unicode.
- Unicode Version History Utility : Provides a summary of the repertoire of each version of Unicode from 1.0 onwards.
Also see Uniqoda
Be the first to comment