Organizing your movie collection is much more than making a list of it. Apart from helping you to quickly browse through your personal collection, with a movie organizer you can tag movies, add notes, browse the Internet for reviews, information, links etc, and much more. A movie organizer not only helps you to organize your movie collection on hard disk but also DVDs, CDs and VHS tapes you own.
Like any software, there are plenty of movie organizers to choose from. The aim of this post is to bring out the best among them. All the softwares listed below are freeware.
1. Personal Video Database is one of the best video cataloguing software that I have found. Adding a movie to the database is easy – just enter the title of the movie and it will retrieve the details from online resources, including plot, actors, director and more.
The main features of this application are:
• It integrates directly to IMDB and pulls information out of it.
• You can also download a DVD cover and posters from various sites.
• The interface is customizable with different viewing options like grid, threaded etc.
• It has different import/export plugins. You can import information from Excel file.
• Movies can be played directly inside this software using the inbuilt media player.
The best thing about this software is that there is a SDK (software development kit) available and it supports plugin. So there are lots of useful plugins that can enhance the functionality of this software.
2. Ant Movie Catalog is a free open source program made to manage your collection of movies DVD, CD, DivX, etc and tapes.
• Import information from Internet (using scripts); by default it includes scripts for IMDB (US), DVDFR (FR), Allociné (FR), Culturalia (ES), and lots of others. Users can add their own websites.
• Information importation from various media files (audio & video codec, bitrates, resolution, framerate, size)
• Scripting technology, using Object Pascal language, allowing to modify catalog: Find & replace, moving field values, etc.
• Export to other formats: HTML (based on a template that you can modify or create yourself), SQL commands (to re-import data in a DBMS such as MySQL), CSV (text files, can be used as tables with Microsoft Excel for example), Origons.com
• Import from other formats: CSV (Microsoft Excel can create such files, but a plain text file can be used too), Divx Manager, BaseDVDivx, Origons.com, DVD Profiler (catalogs exported to XML)
• Can store pictures inside catalog or link to external files.
Ant Movie Catalog is extremely customizable and it’s ability to use scripts adds a lot of functionality and new features to this program.
3. Movienizer allows you to easily find and collect information about your favorite movies. Do you like some actor/actress? Want to find out where he or she is also starring? Just launch Movienizer, select the actor/actress and click “Download” button. You will get the complete list of movies with the given actor/actress, plus important information and photos. Because it retrieves information from the Internet you get anything you wish to know about the movie.
Update: Movienizer isn’t free anymore. Please see Double Feature.
Movienizer will help you keep track on everything concerning movies. With its “loan manager” you never forget where your most valuable DVDs wander. Your personal rating will advise you if some Saturday evening you decide to watch ‘a good old movie’ with your family or your friends. You can mark the exact location of your media, define movies that you want to see next, inform yourself about future projects of your favorite directors.
Movienizer has a plethora of features:
• Create an interactive movie catalog the way you like it.
• Customize the content (reviews, pictures, biographies, comments, rating) of each page.
• Organize your movie collection by specifying the exact location of every DVD, Blu-Ray disc, HD-DVD, video cassette, or other media.
• Find and mark the movies you want to see in the future.
• Take snapshots directly from your DVDs or video files.
• Add a DVD using barcode.
• Play your movies with the built-in player.
• List your movies by genre, year, name, director, actor etc.
• Take notes about movies that you give to your friends or acquaintances (loan manager).
4. MyFilms is a great looking movie organizing software. It can easily retrieve movie information from IMDB with a single click. Quickly decide which movie to watch according to rating or genre (type). It can automatically add movies to the library; all you have to do is just point to your movies folder. It can play the movie even if it’s in two part and include subtitles if needed. It can also retrieve movie soundtrack and plays samples from it.
• Find movie information : Poster, Rating, Plot, User Comments, Recommended Movies
Genre, Director, Cast, Country, Length, Trailer, U.S Box Office Critics, Parental Rating
• Support TV full screen :800X600,1024X768,1152X864,1280X1024,1360X768
HD: 720P (1280X720),1080P (1920X1080)
• Find and play film soundtrack
• Edit movies information
• Play movie include subtitles if found or from DVD
• Retrieves Top 10 movies of the week in U.S theatres
• Browse through your movies posters
• Produce movies report in HTML format
• Automatically find movie subtitles
5. Movie Organizer is a movie cataloguing software that is integrated with it’s own online movie database called MOODb, apart from IMDB. When you add a movie to your collection you will be able to search MOODb for information and images which will be downloaded from the net and filled in automatically. You can also upload data to MOODb if you find that something is missing.
One unique feature of this program is that you can upload your movie collection to MOODb, and get your own personal Internet URL. Then all your friends can see what movies you have in your collection at any time.
6. Movie Monkey can automatically detect movies in a folder. All you have to do is point to your hard drive partition or folders where you have your collection saved and Movie Monkey will intelligently recognize the titles of movies from the file names and classify them according to their genres, download posters and plot-line from the internet. Read full review
7. My Movie Manager is yet another movie collection managing software for windows that helps you catalogue your personal collection on your hard disk. My Movie Manager will scan your computer for movies, discover video files and attempt to identify them. Successfully identified movies will have their details downloaded from IMDB.com. The downloaded details includes a poster of the movie, the movie plot, year of release, movie rating on IMDB, director, cast, genre, runtime and a couple of others. At the end of the scan you will have a nice searchable database of your personal movie collection. Read full review.