My previous two themes collections for Windows XP (part1 & part2) has been well received by a lot of readers, barring a few who lamented that they can’t use these on Windows Vista. Now that Windows 7 is already visible at the horizon, Vista users are probably getting ready for the upgrade. But just before Windows 7 docks at the shore, let me bring you a collection of 25 beautiful themes for Windows Vista, hand picked by me.
Note: Please follow the instructions given on the theme author’s page. Some themes include additional resources like dock application, styler bars, sidebar skins and such, necessary to achieve the complete transformation. General instructions on how to apply Windows Vista visual style is provided at the end of the article.
Luna -blue for Vista: This isn’t exactly beautiful, but I’m including it because the default Windows XP Luna theme has been accurately ported to Vista. Gives a nostalgic feeling.
How to apply custom visual styles in Windows Vista?
- Download either NiwradSoft UxTheme Patcher or VistaGlazz and run the application to patch the uxtheme.dll file of Windows Vista.
- Download the ZIP file containing the theme from the author’s page and unzip the contents.
- Open the directory C:WindowsResourcesThemes and copy the extracted folder here. (The copied folder should contain the theme file and the Shell folder.)
- Now right click on the desktop and click Personalize.
- Click on the tab Appearance. Under the item Color Schemes you will find all the themes you copied to the “Theme” directory.
- Select one to apply.